Thursday, June 5, 2008

a mega misunderstanding...

This week the boys have been attending Vacation Bible School at a church down the street from us. New church, new friends, it's 9-4 all week, and they are having a BLAST.

So yesterday they're doing a project with Caleb's class about their fears. What are they afraid of? There are lots of high school kids helping out, and when one asked Caleb what his biggest fear was, Caleb innocently replies "when my Daddy makes me go up the stairs." The high school kid writes "Dad" on a balloon and hands it to Caleb.

(The purpose of the balloons was to talk about how God helps us to overcome our fears and then they would pop them, making their fear go away).

So Caleb is sitting there holding a balloon that says his biggest fear is his Dad.

This alarms the teachers.

When one lady teacher tried to ask Caleb about it he decided he no longer wanted to talk about it.

So I get a call.

The lady on the phone says we need to talk about something and proceeds to tell me what happened.

I had to laugh.

I knew exactly what he was talking about because he's told me before that he's scared of Daddy chasing him up the stairs and tickling him from behind. So much so that even if Ryan isn't home Caleb will still think someone's going to "get him", and he sprints up the stairs super fast!

The lady laughed, said she totally understood, that they chase their kids around too and was relieved. She was afraid they would have to call in their pastor and investigate our family!!!

I told her that I really appreciate her calling and checking up on things, and I reassured her that there was NOT a problem in our home! And I made sure to go and chat with her in person later when I picked the boys up.

Ryan felt so bad about the misunderstanding, but I'm thinking that if our 7 year olds biggest fear is being chased and tickled going up the stairs then I'm totally okay with that :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment