Thursday, May 10, 2007

Operation: Turtle Rescue


I'm so happy to report that the "save the turtles" turtle tradition has been passed on to my kids. Growing up we lived a couple of miles outside of town and came across lots of turtles trying to cross the road. I would make my parents stop so that I could carry the turtle to safety on the other side far away from the road. My parents ALWAYS stopped for me and even started helping me spot them, and quickly it became natural for them to just pull over the second a turtle crossing the road was seen. My Mom started calling me "Turtle Woman".

This morning as the kids and I are scrambling to school (only about 30 minutes late- see post below) I spotted my first turtle crossing of the season. He was on a very busy road and thus far had made it halfway, but I seriously doubt he would have made it the entire way. I pulled over, put on my hazzards and snatched the turtle up, who immediately began to pee all over me (I had TOTALLY forgotten about that- turtles pee- alot!) So I waited for him to finish up his business and then put him in the car on some newspaper on the floor in our van between my kids seats. They talked to him and named him Mr. Turtle (so original, I know.) We took him to Ryan's office where we released him- there's a goose pond, lots of trees, grass, flowers, total turtle heaven. As we were driving away and saying goodbye to Mr. Turtle, I said "we saved the turtle", and my 2 1/2 year old Tessa rewarded me with a great big "good job Mommy!"

No comments:

Post a Comment