Wednesday, June 27, 2007

"My wallet's gone! My wallet's gone!"


Does anyone watch Seinfeld still? We can quote just about every episode and still watch our favorite reruns at night. Have you seen the one where Jerry's father Morty is at the doctor, had changed into a gown for an x-ray, and when he comes back he checks his pants to find that his wallet is missing? He goes into the hall yelling "My wallet's gone! My wallet's gone!" Well that was Ryan this morning.

I wake up to him bustling around looking for his wallet so he can go to work, but to no avail, he can't find it. So he wakes me and asks me to look. I look high and low, no wallet. Last night we ate at Subway and then went to the park, so while I continue looking he heads for Subway. No wallet. At the park we had parked by the basketball couts that were empty, then walked to the pond and eventually up to playground and then back, and as we walked back to the filled up basketball courts, I remember thinking this young guy sure was watching us closely. Our family is wiggly and LOUD, so I'm pretty used to people looking at us, but it's usually mothers or grandparents with smiles on their faces.

No wallet has been found and Ryan's pretty sure it was taken from his truck- he had forgotten to lock it. It's such a creepy feeling to me to have something actually stolen. I can't imagine what people that have their houses ransacked and half their possessions taken must feel.

A few years ago we lived in a house back in the back of a long cul-de-sac with just a few houses. One morning Ryan went outside to go to work- and his Jeep was gone. We were like what????? Ryan's a pretty big jokester so the first thing we think is "is someone playing a joke on us?" So he calls a few friends, but none of them were in on it, the Jeep had been stolen. It's very creepy to think that while we were inside sleeping, someone was prowling around our house and taking our car. We're thankful that all they wanted was a car. We envisioned someone driving around listening to Ryan's Christian alternative cd's with a stack of his nice dress shirts that were waiting for the cleaners in the back. The Jeep was eventually found- over a year later Ryan found it in a guy's driveway that was trying to sell it! Ryan pulled up and looked at it closer and then tells the guy "this is my jeep, it was stolen from me!" The guy was like "Well I didn't steal it!" He had found it in a salvage yard, whoever stole it had torn it apart and probably sold the parts.

So today Ryan is calling the credit card companies and banks to freeze everything and get new cards issued- such a hassle. He just got a new driver's license yesturday, so he'll have to go do that again.

The moral of the story- lock your car!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment