Wednesday, June 20, 2007

my last 24 hours...

...were pretty hairy. We came home from vacation elated to see Tessa, and everyone went to bed late but pretty normal. Everyone woke up fine, Ryan was home for a couple of hours in the morning before leaving for a business trip to New Jersey for a few days. Sometime after he left my beautiful princess turned into this:

and pretty much stayed that way for the rest of the day. If one of us looked at her the wrong way she burst into tears. The more I played with her or tried to read with her the more upset she got. I decided it's what I get for leaving her home for 5 days while the rest of us went to DisneyWorld.

I was trying to come out of the "on vacation" high, and the boys, who were incredibly good on the trip, were back to being brothers.

With Ryan aka "the fun parent" gone, I had to entertain the ruly crew past dinnertime (normally my whistle blows about 7 pm when Daddy takes over). Tessa was begging for the "sipin' side", or Slippin' Slide, and I agreed before looking at our practically knee high grass- Ryan didn't have a chance to mow before leaving and our usually well maicured backyard was a jungle. I had never mowed in my life- I grew up the youngest with 3 older brothers, why would I mow?



So I dragged out the mower---WHY we have a push mower with an acre just in the backyard, I am not sure, but all I needed was a patch for the "sipin' side"- after a day of tears I would do just about anything to make that girl happy. I followed the directions on the lawn mower, nothing. I tinkered around a bit, got it started (with some cheers from the kids on the porch), mowed one strip and it died. After a few more attempts I call Jennifer who gives some advice but no help. Finally I break down and call Ryan- I hate being the girl that can't figure it out on my own. BUT, after talking to him I find that there IS a weird trick to our mower- it wasn't just me.

So I got my patch mowed, and Tessa got to Sipin' Side, although she cried a few times over nothing. Then was bathtime and storytime, the boys zonked out, Tessa cried. Lord, help me.

Today I awoke to this:

My princess is back to normal and my sanity is saved. And we have a really weird mowed patch in our backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment